1. Audrey Hynes is the featured artist this month at Atonement Gallery, Church of the Atonement, 4945 High Point Road, Atlanta 30342. Read more>> Audrey Hynes is a multi-media artist who works with photography, site-specific installation, drawing, video and sculpture. You can see more of her work at audreyhynes.wordpress.com.
2. AIB Commemorates the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington by premiering "A Look Back: A Conversation with Congressman John Lewis," followed by the encore presentation of "Reflections on the Dream." Thursday, August 15, at 8:30 p.m.
3. The 11th Committed to Communities Open House Event will feature homes before, during, and after renovation. The free event will be held in Historic Adair Park on Saturday, August 17 from 11 a.m. to 2:30. Attendees will tour homes for sale that are renovated or have renderings of the renovation. NeighborhoodLIFT $15,000 down payment assistance will be discussed. Information is available at (404)228-2691 or www.CommittedToCommunities.com Register here>>
4. Saturday, August 17, the American Clergy Leadership Conference Prayer Breakfast in Atlanta will feature as Keynote Speaker the ACLC National Chairman, Archbishop George Augustus Stallings, Jr. speaking on Marriage and Family -- the Cornerstone of God's Kingdom on Earth. Atlanta Family Church, 3060 Bouldercrest Road, Ellenwood 30294. Breakfast starts at 9:30 a.m. Registration fee is $10. Please call Kayo Pederson at (404) 375-4244 for information and directions.
5. Atlanta Interfaith Leaders Fellowship presents An Introduction to Hindu Religion, August 17, from 12 to 3 p.m., at the Sanatan Mandir Atlanta, 1281 Cooper Lake Road, Smyrna 30082. This mandir serves 1,000 or more of our Hindu neighbors and is home to the Indian American Cultural Association. No registration is required for this event. Keynote speaker is Swami Adhyatmanandji – Indian born priest at the Sanatan Mandir. Over 1 Billion persons around the world identify themselves with the Hindu religious traditions. This event will include a tour and traditional lunch and sweets.
6. The Jung Society of Atlanta presents a free film, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, for its annual movie night this Saturday evening, August 17, at 7 p.m. After the film, Jungian Analyst Susan Olson will lead a discussion that focuses on the joys of growing older. The location is Trinity Presbyterian Church, 3003 Howell Mill Road, NW, Atlanta 30327. Everyone is invited. Please arrive early, because the film will start promptly at 7 pm. Remember this is a free event for members and for visitors! For additional information, check www.jungatlanta.com .
7. The Rt. Rev. Michael Curry, Episcopal bishop of North Carolina, is featured Sunday, Aug. 18, on "Day 1." His sermon is on faith. Jesus said, "If you have faith the size of a mustard seed you will say to this mountain be moved from here to there and it will obey you." Details here
8. Summer revival coming up at Warren Memorial United Methodist Church where Donald K. Reed is the Senior Pastor,181 Joseph E. Lowery Blvd. SW, Atlanta 30314. Renewing Our Relationship with God begins on Sunday, August 18. Guest revivalist at the 10:55 a.m. service will be the Rev. Juanita Vinson, Turner Chapel AME, and at 3 p.m. the Rev., Gary Dean, Norcross First UMC. Monday, August 19, hear the Rev. Michael McQueen, St. James UMC at 7 p.m. On Tuesday, August 20, hear the Rev. Bernice Kirkland, Hoosier Memorial UMC, at 7 p.m. If you have questions call (404) 755-893.
9. Roswell United Methodist Church, 814 Mimosa Boulevard, invites the community to hear Gayle Horton of Solutions for Seniors talk about issues facing seniors and caregivers. The program will be Wednesday, Aug. 21, 6:30-8:30 p.m. in the Chapel. A Q&A time and breakout groups will follow for additional support and connection. For information or to register call (770)261-1767 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Roswell UMC>>
10. Neshama Interfaith Center, a place for exploration, spiritual growth, and healing, offers diverse classes and services designed to nurture the whole person in a setting where all faith expressions are valued, building bridges of peace. Have a look at the website ; you might be interested in a book study starting next week on God of Love: A Guide to the Heart of Judaism, Christianity and Islam by Mirabai Starr
11. A Future. Not A Past. Community Ambassadors volunteer their time to raise awareness regarding child sex trafficking. There is no time commitment so this is the perfect opportunity for full-time employees, students, and parents who want to be involved. The 3 hour training session provides education on trafficking here in Georgia, the demand for these children, red flags to look for, services available for any child in need of help, and how to report this crime to law enforcement. Ambassador training will be held Saturday, August 24, 8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Kingdom Builders Covenant Church, 3355 Columbia Dr., Decatur 30034. Continental breakfast will be provided. Please R.s.v.p. to email@example.com
12. Saturday, August 24, the American Diabetes Association will host Victory Over Diabetes Atlanta, its 15th annual full-day conference for people with diabetes, those at risk for diabetes, and anyone interested in healthy living. Geared towards the African American community, but open to everyone, this important program features workshops, speakers, free health screenings, health experts, exhibitors, a Women’s Health Pavilion, resources for the senior community, fitness demonstrations, and much more. For more information call 1-888-342-2383 Ext. 3085, or visit diabetes.org/vodatlanta.
13. Comfort Food Cook-off 2013, enjoy home-cooked food prepared by members of 13 area churches, synagogues, and mosques. All proceeds from this interfaith venture will support Family Promise of North Fulton/DeKalb. Saturday August 24, 6-8 p.m., Temple Sinai, 5645 Dupree Drive NEW, Sandy Springs 30327. Adults $10; Kids 4-13 $5, 3 and under free. Ticket information here>> or contact Family Promise at (404) 252-3073.
14. Another chance to visit historic Zion Episcopal Church in Talbotton at 4 p.m. Sunday, August 25. Everyone is invited to worship in this carpenter gothic church, one of the oldest in Georgia. For more information, contact the Rev. Jeff Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org
15. Sacred Seasons --all major religions have special times during which the call to draw closer to the Divine is heard more urgently. This evening will center on the Abrahamic faiths. Expand your heart and mind with Rabbi Pamela Gottfried, Terry Zobe, and Tayyibah Taylor. You will have the opportunity to learn, grow, be inspired, and go forward more prepared to celebrate your own holy days whenever they are. Sunday evening, August 25, 7:00-9:00 at the Istanbul Center, 223 Roswell St, Alpharetta. In addition to the presentations there will be time for meeting new friends, conversation and Q&A. Light refreshments will be served. Investment: $15.00. Please invite a friend! To register email email@example.com. Marian at firstname.lastname@example.org will be happy to answer any questions.
17. Atlanta Unity is preparing for Unity World Day of Prayer 2013 with a celebration evening of interfaith guest speakers sharing the perspective of this year's focus, 'Love' and 'Peace'. Enjoy an evening of connection with people from Jewish, Muslim, Sufi, Christian, and other faiths on Wednesday, September 11, 7:00 p.m., Atlanta Unity Church, 3597 Parkway Lane, Norcross 30092. All are welcome.
18. Day 1 has moved to the lovely campus of Second-Ponce de Leon Baptist Church. To celebrate its new home, “Day 1” will have its next Prayer Breakfast at Second-Ponce on Thursday, Sept. 12, at 7:30 a.m. The Right Rev. Robert C. Wright, Episcopal Bishop of Atlanta, will speak, and Dr. Jan Love, dean of Candler School of Theology at Emory University, will offer a morning prayer.
19. Real People, Real Faith at Sandy Springs Christian Church announces that Nadia Bolz-Weber will be the guest speaker this fall Bolz-Weber, founding pastor of House for All Sinners and Saints, an ELCA mission church in Denver, is considered a leading voice in the emerging church movement. Bolz-Weber is the author of Salvation on the Small Screen? 24 Hours of Christian Television and her new book, Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint will be released days before she arrives at SSCC. She does not look like your typical pastor but then, her story is also not typical. Mark your calendar for September 13 and 14; this is a speaker you will not want to miss. Find all event information and read more>>
20. The Rev. Cynthia Hale, Senior Pastor at Ray of Hope Christian Church, convenes the Women in Ministry Conference, September 16-19, Westin Atlanta Airport Hotel, registration deadline is August 15. Read more>>
21. Georgia Interfaith Power & Light is throwing a party to kick off its 10th anniversary. If you buy your ticket by August 15 there is a discount. Buy your tickets here! Sunday, September 29, 2013 4-7 p.m. at the Solarium at Oakhurst in Decatur. Local food, local fun, and you are supporting GIPL! A renowned local chef will be creating a wonderful outdoor dinner party of locally sourced, organic food to enjoy with live music and games.
22. The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship has a new address, 160 Clairemont Avenue, Suite 500, Decatur 30030. CBF is a fellowship of Baptist Christians and churches who share a passion for the Great Commission of Jesus Christ and a commitment to Baptist principles of faith and practice. Their shared understanding of Baptist faith and practice is expressed by an emphasis on freedom in biblical interpretation and congregational governance, the participation of women and men in all aspects of church leadership and Christian ministry, and religious liberty for all people. Read more>>
23. Decatur United Church of Christ welcomes you to services at its new home, 862 Columbia Drive, Decatur 30030. Continuing Testament, Extravagant Welcome, Changing Lives.
24. Justin's Heart Community Grief Support Group meets the third Tuesday of every month. The group meets in the Hospitality Suite of First Baptist Church Loganville. There is no cost to participate. Those attending are at different stages of grief. The group is open to anyone and addresses issues for both children and adults. For additional information please contact Steve Williams at mailto:email@example.com" href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org" target="_blank"">email@example.com .
25. Interested in a Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty internship? Visit the website
26 . Did you know you can begin every day in prayer with the Greater Piney Grove Baptist Church? 6 a.m., on the prayer line. The number is 1-218-339-4600; access code: 456342#. Long distance charges may apply.
Ethel Ware Carter
50th anniversary of the March on Washington rally, Saturday, August 24, in D.C. For information contact Helen Butler at firstname.lastname@example.org or (404)653-1199.
Gary Younge, author and award-wining columnist, will be at First Baptist Church Decatur, August 29, 7 p.m. presenting his new book The Speech: The Story Behind Dr. Martin Luther King’s Dream.
Action Dash Atlanta, Athens, Augusta, Gainesville, and Rome. www.actiondash.org
November 9 Run for Justice Read more>>