1. The Rev. Alberto Cutié, Episcopal Church of the Resurrection,Biscayne Bay, is the featured speaker Aug. 4 on “Day 1” with host Peter Wallace, the ecumenical radio program also accessible online at Day1.org. Cutié, widely known as “Father Albert” or “Padre Alberto,” has ministered to millions around the world through his television and radio talk shows, as well as his books and articles. His sermon, based on Jesus’ teachings about money and possessions in Luke 12:13-21, is entitled “Generosity as a Way of Life.” For more information, check the program’s website.
2. Summer Singers of Atlanta with the Orchestra of the American Heartland present Haydn, Missa In Angustiis (Lord Nelson Mass) Te Deum in C Symphony No.. 59 (Fire Symphony) with Arietha Lockhart, soprano; Magedelena Wor, alto; Bradley Howard, tenor; Stephen Ozcomert, bass, Sunday, August 4, 3:00 p.m. Grace United Methodist Church, 458 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Midtown Atlanta. $20 Adults, $15 Students and Seniors, Under12 always admitted free. For information call (404).909-.8357, email Mail@FestivalSingers.org, or visit www.FestivalSingers.org
3. The Green Tea Coalition is meeting at the Atlanta Friends Meeting in Decatur Aug 6, 6 -8 p. m. Its main purposes are: 1) fellowship to move past political differences and collectively advocate for clean renewable energy now, in the best interest of ratepayers without ratepayer or state subsidies; 2) recognize political, community, and organizational leaders who stood up to act for ratepayers during the PSC's historic July 11, 2013 favorable vote; 3) outline historical accomplishments and next steps. All are welcome. Directions
4. Care and Counseling Center of Georgia is offering a "Preparing for Parenting" Workshop for anyone thinking about having a baby; already expecting one; or contemplating adoption or foster parenting. As a workshop participant, you will identify and learn about your current stage of adult development; your family of origin; your expectations about parenting; and your temperament.. You will learn how these aspects of your life and your spouse's or partner's life can shape your parenting. The workshop meets three Tuesday nights: August 13, 20, and 27, 2013 from 6 to 7:45 p.m. at the Care and Counseling Center of Georgia, 1814 Clairmont Road, Decatur 30033. The cost is $150 per couple; registrations are due by 5 p.m. Tuesday, August 6. To learn more, and register, go to blocked::http://cccgeorgia.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Preparing...
5. Walk of HEROes Kick Off Meeting - Thursday, August 6, 5:30-6:30 p.m. for the September 21 event in Kirkwood. Walk of HEROes 5K & Tot Trot. Registration is open now! Read more>> Would you like to serve as a team captain, volunteer, sponsor or have a vendor booth? Come to a short information meeting about this event that supports DeKalb CSB's mental health, substance addiction, and developmental disability services. Room 421, Richardson Health Center, 445 Winn Way, Decatur 30030. Please R.s.v.p. to firstname.lastname@example.org or (404) 508-7875.
6. The Greater Mountain Baptist Church invites the Atlanta Community to celebrate the annual family, friends and community day on Sunday, August 7, at 11 a.m.. The theme for the occasion is, "Worshiping together as one!" Greater Mountain Baptist is located at 3346 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive in the chapel of the historic Herschel Thornton Mortuary and the Reverend Douglas Demetrius Prather is the Senior Pastor. For additional information please contact 404.583.9566 or visit the website at www.GreaterMountainBaptist.org
7. Cobb Summer Singers with the Orchestra of the American Heartland present Handel--Dettingen Te Deum , Zadok the Priest, Select Choruses from Messiah, Water Music Suite, Angel Dotson, alto; Bradley Howard, Tenor; Scott Smith, bass, Sunday, August 11, 6:00 p.m., St. Benedict’s Episcopal Church, 2160 Cooper Lake Road, Smyrna, Georgia. $20 Adults, $15 Students and Seniors, Under12 always admitted free. For information call (404).909-.8357, email Mail@FestivalSingers.org, or visit www.FestivalSingers.org
8. Beulah Heights University has undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs designed to help ministers, church administrators, entrepreneurs, and the communities they serve. Attend an information session to learn about the oldest Bible College in the Southeast.Tuesday, August 13, at 9 a.m., Tuesday, August 13, at 7 p.m., or Saturday, August 24, at noon. You will have the opportunity to speak to experienced faculty about degree programs and learn about student life, campus events, and have a guided tour. You may R.s.v.p.. for one of these sessions by contacting Sonya Young, BHU Recruitment Office at (404)564-5292 or going online to complete a registration form. Beulah Heights University is near historic Grant Park, 892 Berne Street NE, Atlanta 30316. www.beulah.edu Light Refreshments will be served
9. The HEALing Community Center is located in one of Atlanta’s poorest neighborhoods where having no medical insurance is commonplace. Barriers to even the most basic health care are tremendous. The Healing Community Center and Fulton Fresh will offer health tips and fresh produce at 2600 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. SW, Atlanta 30311, 2nd floor, at 10 a.m. Wednesday, August 14. Call for information 404-564-7749. Learn more about HCC >>
10. Sorry to get the name wrong – American Jewish Committee Atlanta not The Atlanta Jewish Committee in the announcement of the AJC -- Cooperative Baptist Fellowship film screening and discussion of The Last White Knight. Sunday, August 18, 6 p.m., Temple Sinai Synagogue, 5645 Dupree Drive, NW, Atlanta. R.s.v.p. to (404)233-5501. General admission $25, students $15.
11. Beholding the Presence of God Every Day: Crafting a Personal Rule of Life , Saturday, August 24 , St. Bede's Episcopal Church, Atlanta. Get more information on this daylong workshop with Carl McColman here.
12. Gary Younge, author and award-wining columnist, will be at First Baptist Church Decatur, August 29, 7 p.m. presenting his new book The Speech: The Story Behind Dr. Martin Luther King’s Dream. The book unearths the fascinating story behind The Speech and the events surrounding the March on Washington. King delivered his l “I Have a Dream” speech on August 28, 1963. Fifty years after the March on Washington, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech endures as a defining moment in the Civil Rights movement. It continues to be heralded as a beacon in the ongoing struggle for racial equality. This program is sponsored by Georgia Center for the Book and hosted by First Baptist Church Decatur Conversations. No tickets or reservations required.
13. CATCH Healthy Habits is a program for adults age 50+who volunteer to work with children 5-10; together the team learns the benefits of healthy eating and exercise. New programs are starting in the fall. Make a Difference in the Life of a Child - and Your Own! Apply Now!
14. Thank you Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Southeast Synod for showing us this really interesting article about Vacation Bible School – then, now, who, why, etc. Read more>>
15. Several local food pantries report that food supplies are low. In the summer when children are out of school there are more mouths to feed at home. Two pantries we spoke with are Midtown Assistance Center and Intown Collaborative Ministries. Click on the names to see needs and how to help.
16. Siemer Family Stability Project :The Siemer Foundation seeks to increase academic success of homeless students by stabilizing their families. United Way has brought together community partners to provide wrap-around services to targeted families. The families must reside in the Clarkston/Stone Mountain area. Stabilizing the families includes :1. Housing – increase housing stability 2. Education – improve academic success 3. Income – increase financial stability 4. Health – improve overall health. Please read about eligibility requirements and get contact information on our website.
Ethel Ware Carter
blocked::mailto:email@example.com" href="blocked::blocked::blocked... http://www.rccapilgrims.ning.com/
Our magnificent mailing list services are kindly donated by http://www.combinework.com/ blocked::blocked::http://www.combinework.com/
blocked::http://www.combinework.com/" href="blocked::blocked::blocked::http://www.combinework.com/" target="_blank">http://www.combinework.com/
blocked::blocked::http://www.combinework.com/" size="3" face="Times New Roman">combinework.com
Sign up for our eNewsletter at http://rcca.combinework.com/base/standard/extranetmail/register/118 blocked::blocked::http://rcca.combinework.com/base/standard/extranetmail/register/118" href="blocked::blocked::blocked::http://rcca.combinework.com/base/standard/extranetmail/register/118" target="_blank">http://rcca.combinework.com/base/standard/extranetmail/register/118 blocked::blocked::http://rcca.combinework.com/base/standard/extranetmail/register/118" color="#000000" size="3" face="Times New Roman">http://rcca.combinework.com/base/standard/extranetmail/register/118
Unsubscribe from our eNewsletter at http://rcca.groupcommons.com/base/standard/extranetmail/remove/118 blocked::blocked::http://rcca.groupcommons.com/base/standard/extranetmail/remove/118" href="blocked::blocked::blocked::http://rcca.groupcommons.com/base/standard/extranetmail/remove/118" target="_blank">http://rcca.groupcommons.com/base/standard/extranetmail/remove/118 blocked::blocked::http://rcca.groupcommons.com/base/standard/extranetmail/remove/118" color="#000000" size="3" face="Times New Roman">http://rcca.combinework.com/base/standard/extranetmail/remove/118
Mac Frampton in concert at Morningside Presbyterian Church, 1411 Morningside Drive, Atlanta 30306, Friday, August 2, 7:30 p.m.
The Brighter Tomorrows Inspirational Choir concert, Friday, August 2, 6 - 8 p.m., Richardson Health Center’s Bohan Auditorium, 445 Winn Way, Decatur 30030.
Upscale Garage Sale, Roswell United Methodist Church on Friday, Aug. 2, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m., and Saturday, Aug. 3, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. More information>>
FAMA Faith Alliance of Metro Atlanta and Street Grace presentation on Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking , Wednesday, August 7, at North Avenue Presbyterian Church, noon to 1:30, R.s.v.p. at www.faithallianceofmetroatlanta.org by August 6.
Sabbath Rest Silent Retreat, Thursday, August 8, from Noon till 4 p.m., Ignatius House, 6700 Riverside Drive, Atlanta 30328. Register at www.sabbath-rest.com
The Alternatives to Violence Project workshop, August 10, Atlanta Friends Meeting, Read more>>HERE.
Community Ambassador Training from youthSpark, Saturday, August 24, 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m., Kingdom Builders Covenant Church,more here. To R.s.v.p. email firstname.lastname@example.org
50th anniversary of the March on Washington rally, Saturday, August 24, in D.C. For information contact Helen Butler at email@example.com or (404)653-1199.
Action Dash Atlanta, Athens, Augusta, Gainesville, and Rome. www.actiondash.org
Stop Ignoring Injustice in Palestine and Israel! Changing the Interfaith Dialogue, Saturday, September 7, 9:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Trinity Presbyterian Church, information here>>
November 9 Run for Justice Read more>>