Four Group Volunteer Options
Your group can support refugees during their transition to life in their new home. There are opportunities before, during and after arrival in Atlanta.
- Hold a Donation Drive
- Host an event or a party at your office or home.
- Collectfunds for refugee families and needed items such as:
- new underwear and socks for men, women and children
(small and medium sizes)
- cleaning supplies
- health and hygiene products
- interview-ready clothing for men and women
- Set Up an Apartment; Welcome a Family Home
- Prepare an incoming refugee family’s new home. Gather and store furniture and household items and set up the family’s apartment the week or weekend before they arrive in the United States.
- Cook the family a culturally appropriate and familiar meal for their day of arrival.
- Greet the family at the airport.
- Welcome them to their new home.
- Prepare a Welcome to America Lunch
- Cook lunch for 10-20 newly arrived refugees or purchase and prepare a meal in advance.
- Deliver to the RRISA office the morning of their first U.S. cultural orientation.
- Serve the meal and meet the families.
- Explore the City Together
- Meet a refugee family at their home and ride MARTA together.
- Explore and discover new and exciting parts of Atlanta while teaching a family how to use public transportation, practicing English skills and learning about cultural differences.
To get your group involved, contact:
Tom Van Laningham
Faith and Community Outreach Manager
(404) 622-2235 x239