God calls us to some things we cannot do alone.
Regional Council of Churches of Atlanta, Inc.
Church Action eNewsletter Week of November 23, 2015
Refugees – we have many new resources from a variety of denominations on our website including a “Welcome” a resource with Bible studies, activities, and practical steps from the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship
Select this link for Advent and Christmas music in our community.
1. Registration is now open for the 2016 National Festival of Young Preachers January 2-5 in Lexington, Kentucky. Find out more about the festival and the Academy of Preachers and register here here.
2. Join the City of Atlanta District 10 Ministerial Alliance on Thanksgiving morning, Thursday, November 26, at 9:00 a.m. for their annual community worship service. The service will be held at the Welcome All Baptist Church located at 755 Bolton Road, Atlanta; the Rev. Mack Simmons is the Pastor. The Rev. Leroy Doe, Pastor of Concord Baptist Church will be the speaker. For more information please contact (404) 980-4767.
3. Warren Memorial UMC 4th Annual Thanksgiving Day Dinner, “Come One, Come All!” November 26, 12 – 2 p.m. Warren Memorial particularly invites people from the Atlanta University community. For more information, contact the Church at (404) 755-8931
4. Bishop Kenneth Carter, Florida Conference UMC, is the featured preacher Nov. 29, on “Day 1” with host Peter Wallace, find your local station, hear his sermon or read it online at Day1.org.
5. The holidays are hard for many people. Smyrna First United Methodist Church, led by pastors and Stephen Ministers, will have morning services, 11 a.m., focusing on “Hope and Healing for the Holidays” Sunday, November 29. 1315 Concord Road, SE, Smyrna 30080.
6. From the Sanctuary to the Street: Pray with your Feet, Sunday, Nov. 29, 2-4 p.m. People will gather on the streets in solidarity with climate marches held across the globe. Come with your faith community and carry your banner. As the world prepares for COP21 in Paris in December, let's show our world leaders that bold, faithful climate action must happen now. More info here or email email@example.com. Let them know you are coming and they will share details of a GIPL meeting spot at the park. Signs were made this weekend at Decatur First Methodist.
7. Advent Lessons and Carols at the Cathedral of St. Philip, Sunday, November 29, at 4 p.m. Those who have attended this candlelight service in past years know what a perfect opportunity it is to step back from the hectic pace of the post-Thanksgiving, pre-Christmas season, and take a few moments to contemplate the real meaning of the holiday. READ MORE
8. The 2015 World AIDS Day Mass of the Archdiocese of Atlanta, celebrated by Archbishop Wilton Gregory, is Tuesday December 1, 7 p.m., Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, 2855 Briarcliff Road, NE, Atlanta 30329. A reception Ministry will follow. All are invited. For more information, call Kathy at (404)634-5595.
9. Handley Helping Hands, Inc., an outreach ministry of Mathalama AME Church, 5570 Handley Blvd,. Morrow, announces the opening of their Food Pantry on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month from 11a.m. - 1p.m. You may contact the food pantry at (404) 366-7302. Additional information is contained in the attached flyer:
10. Discover the Heart of the World: Jerusalem 3D from National Geographic, an inspiring and eye-opening tour through more than 5000 years of history in one of the world’s most enigmatic cities, Monday, Dec. 7, 7 p.m. reception, 8 screening, Fernbank Museum of Natural History IMAX, 767 Clifton Road, Atlanta 30307. Please R.s.v.p. for this invitation from the Israel Ministry of Tourism and the Israel Tour Connection at Danas@imot.org.
11. The Choral Foundation in Georgia presents Zimria Festivale Atlanta concert SING HALLELUJAH! Thursday, Dec. 10, 7 p.m., Congregation Beth Shalom, 5303 Winters Chapel Road, Dunwoody 30360, choral works by Rossi, Lewandoski, Handel, Thompson, and Cohen and Chanukah favorites to celebrate the season. Tickets at the door or online here.
12. A Celtic Christmas with the Lynn Swanson Festival Singers with Celtic band and Irish step dancers. Find out more and purchase tickets www.festivalsingers.org
Saturday, Dec. 12, 7 p.m., St. Benedict’s Episcopal Church, 2160 Cooper Lake Road, Smyrna 30080
Sunday, Dec. 13, 3 p.m., St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church, 1790 LaVista Road, Atlanta 30329
13. The Third Sunday in Advent, Dec. 13, will be a special day of music at 11 a.m. worship at Northside Drive Baptist Church, 3100 Northside Drive, Atlanta 30305, the Sanctuary Choir, along with brass and organ, will lead a special service presenting a work by K. Lee Scott, “Christmas Cantata: The Incarnation,” and “Christmas Gloria,” by Allen Pote. The Children's choirs will also sing.
14. Find out about upcoming workshops, groups, and programs at the Summit Counseling Center in Johns Creek here including a NAMI Family-to-Family group that will meet at Mount Pisgah UMC, Johns Creek.
15. ELCA Southeastern Synod Bishop H. Julian Gordy expressed his concern about the U.S. response to refugee resettlement, triggered by the most recent terrorist attack in Paris, in letters written to the editors of news publications throughout the four state synod. Click here to read his letter.
We have another great give away coming. Check out our homepage for a clue.
Ethel Ware Carter
The Regional Council of Churches of Atlanta, Inc.