Quick Links Summer Series Underway at Local Churches
Earth Covenant Ministry and GIPL Clergy Sabbath Retreat, Len Foote Hike Inn, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-377-555
1. A reminder that shopping is free on Thursday at the Cascade UMC Clothing Closet, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Cascade is at 3144 Cascade Road, Atlanta 30311.
2. ONE DeKalb Lives Complete and Sustainable Communities Summit hosted by DeKalb County; 8:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday, July 21 at Saint Philip AME Church, 240 Candler Road, Atlanta, 30317. The summit will focus on DeKalb's strategy to revitalize and stabilize neighborhoods impacted by the foreclosure crisis. Participants will gain information about initiatives that are in place to keep families in their homes, neighborhood stabilization and revitalization, and moving new families into vacant homes. For more information, call Tonza Clark at at 404-371-6379.
3. Dr. Layli Maparyan, host of AIB’s the Circle program since 2011, will be the new Executive Director of the Wellesley Center for Women in Boston. The Circle brings women of from different faith traditions faith together in conversation. Layli grew up practicing the religion of Baha’i. She is a womanist scholar with a Ph.D. in psychology. Catch Layli’s final episode of The Circle on July 21 at 9:30 a.m. Encore Monday at 10 a.m., Tuesday at 2 p.m. and Friday at 9:30 p.m. AIB is on Comcast channel 5, AT&T U-verse channel 6, and Charter Communications channel 22. See also Video on Demand at aibtv.com and the streaming network AIBNet.tv
4. Gospel Mimes, Saturday, July 21, Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church, featuring the legendary Godfathers of Mime, K&K Mime, Gospel award-winning artist Darwin Hobbs, and hosted by Atlanta’s own Chelsea. Tickets are $10 in advance, $15 at the door. Tickets online at www.dontmineme.com. Proceeds benefit the Nicholas House a transitional family shelter. Doors open at 4 p.m., 182 Hunter Street, Norcross 30071.
5. Nothing says summer like a delicious dinner fresh off the grill! Monday evening, July 23, you’ll learn about tasty marinades and bold grilling sauces with Chef Doug Turbush of Seed Kitchen and Bar. Reserve your seat today for class with Chef Turbush. 100% of ticket prices for Simple Abundance cooking classes benefit the Atlanta Community Food Bank.
6. Reimagining Interfaith Conversation: Engaging Your Community Through Multimedia, a webinar on Wednesday, July 25, 10 a.m. CDT, so 11 a.m. our time. Space is limited so reserve a spot now if you would like to participate. Find out more . Past webinars from Parliament of Religions are recorded. Click here to watch webinars
7. Greater Mountain Baptist Church, Rev. Douglas Demetrius Prather, Senior Pastor, invites the Atlanta community to the annual Family, Friends, and Community Day Worship Service , Sunday, July 29, at 11 a.m. in the Chapel of the Herschel Thornton Mortuary, 3346 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Atlanta 30331. For more information call 404-893-4663 or visit the web site .
8. A support group for families of military or vets with PTSD meets in Watkinsville next Wednesday. If you have veterans or their families in your congregation remember that this and other retreats, trainings, support groups, and events important to our vets are listed on the Care for the Troops calendar .
9. Katheryn Jones Ministries and Destiny Family Services is hosting an Evening of Gospel with Nakitta Foxx of the Kurt Carr Singers and Bishop-Elect Prophet Antoine Jasmine, Saturday, July 28, 2 at 6 p.m., Ray of Hope Christian Church, 2778 Snapfinger Road, Decatur 30034. This is a benefit for the Sons and Daughters with Destiny Youth Leadership Academy for at-risk youth in the DeKalb County Juvenile Court system and community. Admission is free; an offering will be taken. For more information, contact Pearline Cole at 770-842-9742 or email@example.com.
10. Refugee Women’s Network, Inc. presents Believe in the Power of Women: Refugee Women as Agents of Change, featuring Thanh Xuan Nguyen, Co-Founder of Refugee Women’s Network, Thursday, August 2, 5 – 7 p.m., Agnes Scott College, 141 East College Avenue, Decatur 30030. For more information, please contact Refugee Women’s Network at 1431-A McLendon Drive, Decatur 30033, call 404-437-7767, or visit www.riwn.org.
11. Ignatius House Retreat Center in Sandy Springs is offering a Charis Young Adult 2 Night Weekend Retreat, August 3-5, for those in their 20's and 30's looking to connect spiritually and socially with others. Here is an opportunity to reflect on the role of Jesus in your life and work. Private room/bath with all meals included. For more information, or to register visit www.ignatiushouse.org or call Sharon at 404-255-0503.
12. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Forsyth, Dawson, Lumpkin, will be starting a free Family-to-Family Class on Tuesday, August 7, 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. in Cumming, Georgia. This course is suitable for parents, siblings, spouses, adult children, and significant others who are caregivers of adult individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), borderline personality disorder, panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and co-occurring brain and addictive disorders. Classes meet for 12 weeks. NAMI FDL furnishes the free study manual. Families, close friends, or mentors of veterans experiencing PTSD would benefit from this course. Please contact Ovie Hughie at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 678-341-9414.
13. Covenant House has purchased a new shelter that will allow them to serve three times as many teens. Preparations are underway to move in this fall and volunteers are needed to spruce up and organize. Your help will pave the way for the first phase of helping teens who are currently living on the streets of Atlanta. Covenant Work Day is August 25, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Bring your youth group, your Sunday School Class, your Bible study group, your men’s prayer circle and pitch in. Call Kellie Glenn to make arrangements ! (404) 589-0163 ext. 103
See www.covenanthousega.org for more information on Covenant House.
14. Georgia interfaith Power & Light’s political forum on the Georgia Public Service Commission has been posted onto their youtube page and you can see the entire video there. This is a statewide election, so share this video far and wide with your friends. The primary election will be held on July 31, and the PSC will also be on the ballot in November.
15. If you have congregation members looking for work you will be interested to know the Adamsville Workforce Development Resource Center is now open to assist job seekers, 3700 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, Atlanta. These offices help unemployed citizens sharpen their interview skills, complete online employment applications, and update their resumes. Workshops and other training are available. The office is open from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. For more information about services and workshops, call 404-613-6381. To locate other offices, visit WorkforceDevelopment
16. Antioch Baptist Bible College, Institute, and Seminary, Cartersville, has announced the Fall Semester Schedule. Classes begin August 13. Find it and more at the renewed website .
17. Longleaf Hospice is seeking volunteers to serve patients and families dealing with a life-limiting illness across the metro area. Volunteers are a crucial element to the Longleaf Hospice team, bringing an extra layer of care and support to patients and their loved ones. Read a message from Longleaf and find contact information .
18. You might enjoy reading about a radical act of gospel hospitality and the comments it evoked. Visit Feed the hungry
19. Laura Hobgood –Oster is Professor of Religion and Environmental Studies at Southwestern University. We have a copy of The Friends We Keep: Unleashing Christianity’s Compassion for Animals. We would like to share this engaging, powerfully reasoned, and beautiful book with someone. It would make a good study for a group. Let me know if you would like it. email@example.com
Ethel Ware Carter
Our magnificent mailing list services are kindly donated by combinework.com
Sign up for our eNewsletter at http://rcca.combinework.com/base/standard/extranetmail/register/118
Unsubscribe from our eNewsletter at http://rcca.combinework.com/base/standard/extranetmail/remove/118